Saturday, March 03, 2007

Winters in these United States

We finally had a week of heavy snowfall in the Twin cities. After the miserable 20 odd days of below 0F temperatures with no snowfall, it has finally begun looking like winter! We had about 6 inches last weekend, which was followed by about 6 more over this week. As a result, driving can now be categorized an adventure sport, it looks enchanting outside and I have my own little snow-hill on my patio (picture on the right) .

Of couse I cannot talk about winter without mentioning Hougton, where I spent my first two winters. With an annual average snowfall of 250 inches, it is easily the most intense snow that I have experienced. The picture on the left shows the pathway leading to my house in Hougton. Believe me, thats how it stayed through most of winter.

I am always amazed with the drastic changes in appearance that occur with the change in seasons. It is almost like a poem describing cycles of optimism, fulfillment and apparent despair; Winter when snow beautifully covers latent potential, Spring when everything is in full bloom and Fall when nature goes out in blazing glory. The irony is that if you think about it Fall could symbolize destruction and despair, but instead it symbolizes hope; nature spectacularly accepts a temporary setback knowing that spring shall come again.











2 comments:

Wavefunction said...

That's a LOT of snow!! Must be remarkable...no sight like that ever in monotonous Atlanta. But I guess it's also a relief in many ways.
The last photo's fantastic by the way!
And why is your moustache looking thicker?? Maybe it's just the contrast with the snow!

Shilpa said...

So true - the seasons are like a poem and your pictures describe the poem well!